Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Healthy Mexican Dinner

Today's post is a super easy healthy meal that I make when i'm running short on time. It's a mexican inspired and filled with fiber, protein, colorful veggies and healthy fats.
(posted on my inastagram @andeelayne a couple days ago )

When i'm in a hurry I pick up a rotisserie chicken, shred it and set aside. You can also grill your chicken at home and then shred it as well but the precooked rotisserie chicken saves me time. Next I satuee one red bell pepper and a large onion in a frying pan with a little olive oil and set them aside. 

I toss my shredded chicken back into the frying pan and add a little sea salt, cumin and a can of cannellini beans. I drain a bit of the liquid out of the can first but not all of it. I mix it all together in the frying pan and add a little bit of chicken broth just to give it a creamy kind of texture (think tuna salad consistency). Add your sautéed peppers and onions back in to the frying pan.
Put a 1/2 cup of brown rice on your dinner plate and add your chicken mixture on top.

Next top it with with some sweet white corn cut straight from the cobb! You can used the canned kind but I think it tastes much better coming right off the cobb. 

Lastly add a healthy spoonful of guacamole and you're done! I purchased (and am obsessed with) the pre-made guacamole from Whole Foods. I used to make my own (Avocados, onion, cilantro, lime juice and a little sea salt) but this saves so much time and is really good! This dish has so much flavor coming from the  veggies and guacamole that I promise you won't miss the cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips that are usually in mexican food.

This meal is definitely a hit in our house and hope you ladies enjoy it too! 

12 comments:

  1. Yummmmayyy - you know I love my Mexican food, and this one looks amazing! Definitely going to give it a try! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I live in New Mexico so I love healthed up Mexican dishes


    iPad Air Giveaway

    Makeover With Aspen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum yum! Question - do you grill or bake the corn first or do you just cut it right off the cob?

    Definitely trying this at home! Thanks so much for the recipe.

    Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! It's like a healthier version of a Chipotle burrito bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is another great and healthy chicken toasted (just skip the tortilla) recipe

    http://www.inallofhersplendor.com/2014/02/27/easy-chicken-tostadas/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!! I'll be trying this real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite way to make Mexican inspired chicken is two breasts in the crock pot, throw in a jar of salsa, some corn (however much you like), a can of black beans and turn it on low for 4 or 5 hours. It shreds like a dream right in the crock pot and it's amazing alone or to make enchiladas (it makes a lot so I freeze half). So easy, so healthy and basically zero effort. I'm going to have to try some pre-made guac - I usually just stick to plain avocado because I'm lazy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made this tonight for dinner and it was so delicious! I'm just into my 2nd trimester and haven't been able to eat a single veggie until tonight. Making me feel like I'm back on my healthy track! Hubby loved it too... Although he added the cheese, sriracha and tortilla to it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this for dinner tonight, too. Super yummy. Keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this idea! I did something very similar with some grilled shrimp and it was a hit at a party I brought it to (was more of a dip but you can make it a meal). I marinated the shrimp with a little tequila, lime juice, minced garlic, fresh cilantro and a little Old Bay before tossing on the grill. I also pan seared the corn with a little olive oil to give it the roasted flavor. I'm totally trying your recipe this week....mouth is watering already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried it last night and it was a hit! My husband doesn't like onion, but I put the dried minced onion with the bell pepper for the good smell! (He never knew it was in there). I cheated and put light sour cream on top instead of guac (bc he doesn't like that either), and black beans too! LOVE the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

 

blog design + development by fabulous k