Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Honeybee Health: Healthy Stir Fry and Shredded Chicken Tacos

The hubs requested stir fry this week so I was on a mission to make one that was on the lighter side.
Im a huge fan of using what you have in your fridge in stead of constantly running out to the store to get specific ingredients. We had some left over bell peppers, broccoli, onions two garlic cloves and some lean Sirloin steak (trimmed of fat) that was perfect for this dish! I sautéed the onion, garlic gloves, and bell peppers in two tables spoons of olive oil. Then I threw in the meat and added some salt and pepper to taste. After the meat was cooked I tossed in the broccoli and a handful of cashews for a little crunch! Lastly I added a couple tablespoons of Trader Joes Soyaki sauce for a little sweet touch! 

I boiled some Buckwheat Soba noodles and served them underneath.The hubby wasn't sure he would like but ended up LOVING them! This was so yummy and even better,  ready in 20 mins! 


on another note my Crock Pot  has been in retirement for years but now i'm on a MISSION to get back to crock potting! I have pinned a ton of recipes and there are so many good ones just in time for Fall! 

The Crock Pot is a crazy EASY way to make shredded chicken tacos! Toss in your chicken breast with a can of salsa and a packet of taco seasoning. You literally just throw them in and go! Cook on low for 6 hours and these babies just fall apart!  You can shred the chicken in 2 mins flat they are so soft! Once you've shredded the chicken toss it back in the pot and remix it with the leftover salsa in there. Serve with your traditional taco fixings! (I didn't have the packet of seasoning and wanted to cut back on sodium so I just put it in the pot with the can of salsa and it still tasted delish!

35 comments:

  1. love your recipes, i always save them to look back at later! also love that you make eating healthy look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a quick, healthy stir-fry! Usually, I use a package of steamable veggies, a little soy sauce, and Trader Joe's organic brown rice. So simple and so yummy. Love your blog & follow you on Twitter, too.

    -Brittany, suburbchicblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm! This looks so delicious! I've been wanting to put my crockpot to use but just haven't done so. Definitely going to start pinning some recipes as well. Thanks for sharing your recipes. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks girl! You def should esp now that Fall is right around the corner!

      Delete
  4. wow the crockpot shredded chicken sounds amazing! Do you use bone-in, skinless chicken breasts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, this looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your stir fry recipe! When I first started using buckwheat soba noodles they would ALWAYS turn into one mushy lump. :-D Love them though, so healthy! I think I will have to pick up a crock pot too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Def try them! The package says be careful not to overcook (so I'm sure that happens often) I only did them for 6 minutes and turned out great!

      Delete
  7. Always love your recipes, the chicken crock pot sounds delicious. Do you use boneless or bone in chicken for it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi love i always use boneless just because i hate picking around the bone and for this they'd def be much easier to shred

      Delete
  8. I make that shredded chicken all the time- so good! Try googling Rachel Ray's taco seasoning- tastes just like the packet but way less sodium. Check out my blog for some of the healthy recipes I like- posting another one tomorrow for the Inspire Me Healthy Link-up!
    xo, Ann

    Glitter and Glaze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thanks for the tip!!! Ill def stop by your blog as well xo

      Delete
  9. I love your healthy posts! They are really inspiring:) I love healthy food, so I really find them interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! I have the exact same crockpot and I also need to get it out of retirement. Great chicken taco idea. I wonder if it would be ok to leave the chicken on for eight or more hours while I go work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im sure it is totally fine just make sure your setting is on low. Also mine will turn off if i have it set for 6 hours and the time is up. xo

      Delete
  11. I posted on twitter earlier about wanting to get my crock pot back in action too!! I am actually making dinner in it right now!!

    I have tons of recipes pinned too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. girl we've def been mnissing out on how easy crock pot cooking is. Def has a whole new meaning now that I have a baby too lol

      Delete
  12. Hi Andee!

    Loving your blog! Please tell us where you purchase Buckwheat noodles?


    Thanks a bunch!

    -Zhanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zhanna I purchased mine at Whole Foods but Im sure you can find them at your local grocery in the section where they sell all the special Asian sauces noodles etc...

      Delete
  13. That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Once again, I'm saving this and making it! My fiance and I love your recipes andee:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You def should try it Noelle it was a nice change up..havent had stir fry in forever!

      Delete
  15. I have only used my crockpot for queso when we have company. I am making these chicken tacos today!!!!
    Artee
    Www.artistalovesart.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. That stir fry looks perfect! I'll have to give those noodles a try! I do a similar version of your shreadded chicken, my go to is a jar of salsa, a bottle of beer & desired seasonings. I love crockpot cooking and/or marinating with beer. Also, I keep a jar of homemade taco seasoning in my cupboard for just cuch occasions. NO chemical junk or excess sodium! http://clutteredcupcake.blogspot.com/2012/01/taco-seasoning.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum Andee! I love anything with tons of veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made the chicken tacos the other day in my crock pot! SOOOOOOOO Yummy!
    Style in the City

    ReplyDelete

 

blog design + development by fabulous k